May 4, 2010

Ding!

Flying Southwest

Two weeks ago I flew Southwest to/from Nashville. I always enjoy flying with them- they are hospitable and humorous at times, the prices are awesome and the pretzels are good... The thing that gets me is the haphazard, lack of assignment, seating. It's the only time I fly and think to myself ‘maybe I should look presentable before this flight so someone will decide to sit next to me OR so when I sit down next to someone they aren’t like ‘dang-it not her’.

My friend Eric had a completely different thought process- along with most other men I bet. He suggested wearing a shirt that says ‘I just farted’, along with many other good ideas- not showering for days being somewhere on the list, all so the seat next to you stays empty. Why do you need an empty seat though? To insure that you don’t accidentally touch the persons arm sitting next to you?

Flying is an interesting experience- it’s one of the few times that you are in close proximity to a completely random group of people. I get excited at the thought of who the person next to me might be: a monk, a farmer, an acrobat, or an artist from Cincinnati. I don’t get the opportunity to meet people like that often. Gotta embrace it :)

2 comments:

  1. haha i love flying for that very reason :) have had so many great and interesting conversations with the people next to me, esp during the many flights i went on while in the US. And Southwest is my absolute favourite airline!! they rock big time :)

    -Priscilla

    ReplyDelete